Kev Down Under

Kev's Adventures living in and traveling around Australia

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm a native New Yorker, living in Sydney, with manners taught in Texas (the accent only comes out when I've had a little bit to drink). I can say "I like ice cream" in several languages, but little else (although I'm learning "where is the Embassy" is also a good one to know.) I have a serious weakness for chocolate-chip cookies.

16 February 2008

I still call Australia home

I saw this commercial the other night when I went to the St. George Open Air Theater (which was brilliant -- more on that soon) and I keep thinking about it. The advertising team at Qantas definitely earned their money for this one (perhaps it was Ogilvy...).



I say that because the commercial works on so many levels. It reinforces Qantas' commitment to Australia (important right now with competition from budget carriers) though key images of Australia, Australian (including indigenous) children, the held, focused shots on traditional Australian aboriginal people, and of course, don't forget the song.

The images they select also reinforce Qantas' destination cities to the viewer, both in Australia (I saw everything from Sydney's Opera House and Harbour Bridge to the deserts and beaches) and abroad (New York, Rome, London, Paris, Athens, Singapore, Hong Kong, The Greek Islands, etc). And every time they came back to the chorus ("I still call Australia home") they cut back to their homeland, suggesting that Qantas is always there to carry you home. Brilliant.

And of course, the song is pretty catchy too. That always helps.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home