Kev Down Under

Kev's Adventures living in and traveling around Australia

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm a native New Yorker, living in Sydney, with manners taught in Texas (the accent only comes out when I've had a little bit to drink). I can say "I like ice cream" in several languages, but little else (although I'm learning "where is the Embassy" is also a good one to know.) I have a serious weakness for chocolate-chip cookies.

13 February 2008

English to English dictionary

I've knew even before I arrived that the Aussies use a different dialect of English than we do in New York. Usually it's only a word here or there that differs, but this afternoon I received an e-mail with the following phrase in it:

"I'm flat chat this arvo. Can we do tomorrow morning?"

And with that, I actually had to Google an Australian to U.S. English dictionary. Thank God for the Internet.

(For those left wondering like I was, "flat chat" means "I'm crunching/crashing/moving quickly on something" and "arvo" is slang for afternoon).

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanism said...

If you talk like this when you come back, I'll punch you in the mouth

6:11 AM  
Blogger Top Pop said...

If you speak like this when you come home, you'll need an American interpreter to get along!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home