Kev Down Under

Kev's Adventures living in and traveling around Australia

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm a native New Yorker, living in Sydney, with manners taught in Texas (the accent only comes out when I've had a little bit to drink). I can say "I like ice cream" in several languages, but little else (although I'm learning "where is the Embassy" is also a good one to know.) I have a serious weakness for chocolate-chip cookies.

29 June 2005

I've changed my mind, I love Adelaide

Its amazing how drinking over two bottles of wine will change how you feel about a city. We've just finished a wine tour of Adelaide's Barossa Valley. Four vineyards and more than 30 tastings later, I find myself at the front of our tour bus, sitting on a cooler, telling jokes over a microphone. My sister, the environmentalist vegetarian who won't eat animals she thinks are cute, is telling anyone who will listen about how much she liked eating kangaroo meat.

We're thinking of filling the rest of the day with a trip to the hotel sauna and hot tub. Its about all we're up for at this point.

Oh, the bus just joined in for dome impromptu karaoke with the the song playing on the radio. We spent yesterday in Glenelg, a small suburb that looks like you accompanied Marty McFly back to 1955 in the Delorian. It's a sea-side beach town that, like Adelaide, is stuck in the 1950's. Why did we go? We saw the major attractions (really all of the city) of Adelaide in the first half-day after we arrived. So we took a little bus trip out.

Tomorrow is on to Cairns in the north of Australia, where we're excited to meet up with warm weather. We have a rainforest tour, a coral reef dive and a trip to the Aboriginal Cultural Center booked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home