Kev Down Under

Kev's Adventures living in and traveling around Australia

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm a native New Yorker, living in Sydney, with manners taught in Texas (the accent only comes out when I've had a little bit to drink). I can say "I like ice cream" in several languages, but little else (although I'm learning "where is the Embassy" is also a good one to know.) I have a serious weakness for chocolate-chip cookies.

21 June 2005

We're staying in the Williamsburg of Melbourne

We arrived in Melbourne yesterday in the most remote airfield I've ever seen. I say airfield, because that's what it was, basically cornfields with a tarmac cleared out in the middle. Our plane, which was a full-sized Airbus 330, was the only one in sight. We had been diverted from Melbourne's very large, very active, very close to the city, main airport (which I assume is much larger) as there's construction going on.

We're staying with an Aunt who lives here, who scared us by suggesting we rent a car if staying with her. Then, when it took us an hour (and two trains) to get to her house from the city center (or CBD as the Australians call it) we were scared that we were in the boonies and nowhere near the city. Turns out we just took the long route, and are staying in a ultra hip, very young suburb, two blocks from the tram into the CBD. The night life is very cool, and Arielle and I explored the main drag a bit last night.

The people here are nothing short of lovely. People will take you far out of their way to help you if you need directions (as we've learned several times) or will double back to their cars to get a map. Fantastic.

I'm also learning some interesting language differences and plan on posting an Australian to American dictionary at some point soon.

Okay, we're off to go check out Melbourne's oldest prison and then to the zoo.

1 Comments:

Blogger CW said...

This blog is good, it's like a Fodor guide... except I know the guy reviewing the places...

Enjoy your trip....

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home