Kev Down Under

Kev's Adventures living in and traveling around Australia

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm a native New Yorker, living in Sydney, with manners taught in Texas (the accent only comes out when I've had a little bit to drink). I can say "I like ice cream" in several languages, but little else (although I'm learning "where is the Embassy" is also a good one to know.) I have a serious weakness for chocolate-chip cookies.

27 June 2005

Adelaide: 50 years and :30 minutes behind Sydney

So we arrived in Adelaide this afternoon. The first thing that struck me about the city is that it's in its own timezone, 30 minutes behind Sydney. Half an hour -- I kid you not.

When I heard the flight attendant announce the local time over the PA system, I thought I misheard her, but noticing the funny expression Arielle had on her face, I realized I hadn't. We flagged the flight attendant as she passed, asked the local time again, and she responded with, "yeah, I know, it's odd."

If Sydney is New York, Melburne is Chicago, Brisbane is Boston, then we've decided that Adelaide is Toledo, Ohio. And many of you know how I feel about Toledo.

Adelaide is seriously the same as it was in the 1950's. Everything (including our hotel room decor) looks like it's in the 50's. What makes things tougher is that it's Sunday, about 4:30ish (that's 5:00 Sydney time) and everything is closing down. Amanda suggests we take it as a sign that we're supposed to check out the hotel spa. I think she may be right, as in the four hours we've been here, we've seen about half of the attractions, and have a full day left to wander tomorrow. We don't want to see it all in a single day. Luckily we have a full day vineyard tour booked for Tuesday, although we made hit a liquor store and start our own tastings tonight in the hotel, if there is little else to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home