Kev Down Under

Kev's Adventures living in and traveling around Australia

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm a native New Yorker, living in Sydney, with manners taught in Texas (the accent only comes out when I've had a little bit to drink). I can say "I like ice cream" in several languages, but little else (although I'm learning "where is the Embassy" is also a good one to know.) I have a serious weakness for chocolate-chip cookies.

23 June 2005

I like to boogie, I like the nightlife

Forgive me if this isn't the most coherent of postings, we've just come out of a pub.

So a bunch of you have written and asked about the nightlife. It's very cool. We've been having our share of fun evenings.

The Aussies like their live music, and almost every bar we've gone to in Brisbane and Sydney has had a band. Mostly they play covers of Australian and American music (the Aussie songs have been awesome) ranging from Prince to Greenday to Paul Simon.

Almost all have multiple rooms and/or floors with different music on each, and in Brisbane, almost all had some kind of outdoor area (its warm there for the most-part year round). In Brisbane almost all of the bars also had Pokies, the most popular form of slot machines. If you find yourself in Brisbane, I recommend, in this order, the Royal Exchange Hotel, the Victory Hotel (affectionately called the RE and the Vic, respectively) and Friday's (no, not as in TGI Friday's). In Sydney, so far my favorite is Three Wise Monkeys, where we were earlier tonight.

Okay time to sleep. More later on the Sydney harbor cruise we took this evening, and about the seagulls who will eat right out of your hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home