Kev Down Under

Kev's Adventures living in and traveling around Australia

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm a native New Yorker, living in Sydney, with manners taught in Texas (the accent only comes out when I've had a little bit to drink). I can say "I like ice cream" in several languages, but little else (although I'm learning "where is the Embassy" is also a good one to know.) I have a serious weakness for chocolate-chip cookies.

08 February 2008

I have a lot of unlearning to do

I just finished my first week of work, and while I'm with the same company I worked for in New York, because of the different location and culture, I'm learning that a lot of things are very much the same, but a lot of things are different. The biggest learning I'm taking away from this week is that I have a lot of learning to do - or rather, unlearning.

Working in PR in New York takes a very type-A personality. There is a strong focus on urgency, the pace is fast, and client service is paramount. While there is a focus on client service here, because of the culture, the approach (both by my agency and the clients) is a lot more laid back. A few times this week the different approach has resulted on my getting stressed over people's perceived approach and follow-up, when in reality, I was coming at things with an American mindset. I know that as I settle into life here I'll adjust to the approach, but it goes against the way I've been doing business for the past seven years, so it may take some time.

And while things are different, I'm also learning things are very much the same. My first assignment here was to develop a media training for one of our clients, something I've done many times for our clients in New York. I was given some samples of what our Sydney office has done in the past, and it contained the exact same tips and techniques we teach in New York. It was nice to see how similar things can be around the world -- especially when you work for a global company.

This weekend I begin my search for an apartment. I've narrowed the map down to three neighborhoods in downtown Sydney that I think I'd like to live in. This weekend I'm going to do my own walking tour and start looking at listings online.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home