Kev Down Under

Kev's Adventures living in and traveling around Australia

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm a native New Yorker, living in Sydney, with manners taught in Texas (the accent only comes out when I've had a little bit to drink). I can say "I like ice cream" in several languages, but little else (although I'm learning "where is the Embassy" is also a good one to know.) I have a serious weakness for chocolate-chip cookies.

24 July 2008

When American and Aussie English don't match

I may have spurred an HR issue today over a misunderstanding.

The woman I share my office with, who I’ve become good friends with, casually leaned over to me and asked, “do you have a rubber?”

I turned beat red – I didn’t know she was asking for an eraser!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Farf's Girl said...

that is freaking hilarious

5:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha! That happened in London. Rob would ask us if we'd seen his rubber. We definitely gave him a strange look.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

what you should have said was, "What you mean for the tip of my pencil?"

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home